As our lives get busier and people are more and more “on the go”, it’s important to always have healthy snacks on hand. If you have something tasty at your fingertips, it’s easier to stay away from vending machines and other temptations that don’t benefit our bodies.
Since I work in an office where snacks (usually unhealthy ones like candy and potato chips) are available all day long; I’ve gotten used to bringing a number of healthier options that help me eat better even in the midst of these temptations. Below is a list of my favorites, but please also share any good ones you have so we can try them out:
- Organic Celery Sticks with Organic Creamy Peanut Butter- yum!
- Organic Strawberries or Raspberries (cool & refreshing)
- Trail Mix (Yes, I know there are M & Ms, but I try to mostly load up on the peanuts, raisins, and almonds when I buy the mix in bulk)
- Hard-cooked egg with a sprinkle of salt
- Unsweetened Applesauce (also good with a dash of cinnamon)
- Sunflower Seeds (these are actually very filling)
- Yogurt with a sprinkle of granola (I like Stoneyfield Organics Plain which has no sugar and Heartland granola)
- Carrot Sticks with a homemade veggie dip (start with organic sour cream and add your favorite dried herbs (like thyme, basil, rosemary, and dill) with a dash of garlic salt to taste
- Any fruit you have available (preferably organic): apple, pineapple, banana, orange, grapes…
- Cucumber Pitas (cut a whole wheat pita in half so you have two thin round pieces and spread the above veggie dip onto both sides. Add sliced cucumbers to one side, cover with the other half of the bread and cut into small triangles)