Almost every year Mother’s Day somehow manages to sneak up on me, but I am determined not to let this happen to me again. It’s such a wonderful day for me to remind my mother how much I love and appreciate her since I truly don’t do this enough. That’s why I want to put plenty of thought into my gifts and really make her feel special.
My mom is probably like a lot of moms- always on the go, constantly helping others, and almost never able to slow down for some “her time”. But I know that she enjoys pampering when she gets the chance so I have been brainstorming ways to do so this year. I’ve come up with the below ideas so far (and I’ll have to tell her to skip over reading this post for now! ;) ):
- Purchasing soy or beeswax candles scented with natural essential oils (they are relaxing and smell so wonderful, plus much better for a healthy environment)
- Trying my hand at making these fabulous looking homemade bath fizzies (I’ll post about it when I do this!)
- Giving her a jar of my favorite homemade lip balm
- Purchasing some relaxing dried herbs to make luxurious herbal bath bags
- Getting her some tea to enjoy (she mentioned really liking peppermint lately)
- Making a homemade body scrub by mixing 1/2 cup sea salt, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/4 cup olive oil (source: Delicious Living magazine, April 2011)
- Combining all of these in a pretty gift basket topped off with a handmade card :)
Now, if you like these ideas, but would prefer to buy instead of make the items, great resources are available. Etsy.com has a fantastic variety of natural, hand-made pampering items (most at very reasonable prices) as well as all sorts of other eco-friendly gifts. You can also check local stores and artisans markets for natural goodies you might not find elsewhere.
And if you think of any other natural Mother’s Day gift ideas, please do share them- I would love to add more items to my basket!
Photo by Michaelaw