With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, I started doing some digging to find healthier, more eco-friendly ways to celebrate this holiday. The following items are still romantic gift/date ideas, but go easy on our bodies and the planet:
- Make a home-cooked meal for your sweetheart, complete with as many organic, local foods as possible (this will also keep you from long, unromantic wait times at restaurants)
- Give the gift of red wine; it is romantic and offers a number of health benefits (organic wine with no sulfites added is best). If you are in Michigan, check out Peterson & Sons, a local winery making fruit and red wines with no sulfites added.
- Purchase hand-made & natural aromatherapy oils, massage oils, and candles while supporting individual sellers on etsy.com
- Purchase organic flowers if possible as it not uncommon for roses to be grown using thirty pesticides!
- Make your own Valentine’s Day cards for your loved ones using recycled paper and magazines you’ve finished reading
- Fill a basket with pampering items for your loved ones with healthy soaps, body washes, bath salts, and lotions from your local health store or farmer’s market
- Spend time together outdoors doing an activity such as ice skating or skiing (depending on the weather you have right now!) Michigan is currently buried under a good amount of snow!
- Snuggle up on the couch with a romantic movie and munch on old-fashioned popcorn popped on the stove