After much searching online to find a homemade “miracle” deodorant, I’ve come to the conclusion that the best-working and most natural deodorant is from Miessence in Australia. Before I came across great reviews and finally purchased Miessence deodorant, I tried all the following at-home remedies (from worst to best based on my experience):
- Turnip juice– while I had read this would eventually eliminate body odor, the time spent grating the turnip, squeezing the juice out through a cheese cloth, and then refrigerating was a definitely not worthwhile. Also, when I first rubbed the turnip juice on to my underarms, I realized that it actually smelled very similar to body odor. Another disadvantage was that the juice did not keep well long in the fridge and would likely need to be re-made every couple of days.
- Apple Cider Vinegar– I used a cotton ball to apply this to my underarms and the smell was simply too strong for me. I had read that once it dries, the smell fades for the most part, but I could smell this nearly all day (wearing a long sleeve shirt) and it simply didn’t work too well as a deodorant either.
- White Vinegar– I applied this in the same manner as the apple cider vinegar and the smell was strong, but much better than the apple cider. Unfortunately, about halfway through an average workday, I realized this didn’t work any better.
- Witch Hazel– I applied in the same manner as the vinegars and, unfortunately, it did not perform well, either.
- Lemon Juice– this was my second best choice as it worked the better (still not perfect, though) than all of the above. However, I prefer in the long run that my deodorant not have to be refrigerated and I also worried that this could possibly stain my clothes if I spilled any.
- Tea Tree Oil Drops Mixed with Water– I put this into a small spray bottle and it was the most convenient to apply. It also had the most pleasant and enjoyable scent. It did not work impeccably, but if I kept this in my purse and sprayed on a refresher throughout the day, it would be the very best homemade choice.
If you do not wish to try your luck with the above, but also do not want to put dangerous, chemical based deodorants on your skin daily, I strongly recommend purchasing organic Miessence deodorant. It only has 5 ingredients and you can choose from Ancient Spice, Tahitian Breeze, or Aroma-Free (my choice).
The ingredients are as follows: aqua (purified water), organic aloe barbadensis (aloe vera) leaf juice, sodium bicarbonate (i.e. baking soda), non-gmo xanthan gum, and organic citrus aurantium amara (bitter orange) fruit extract.
The deodorant is roll on and goes on clear so there’s no chance of white, powdery streaks on your shirt. I’ve used mine every day for nearly two weeks and it lasts throughout the whole work day. It also seems to work through a full hour-long aerobics workout AFTER work although I wouldn’t mind carrying it on me to reapply at the gym if necessary.
My husband was even kind enough to do underarm sniffs (all for your benefit!) after a full day’s work and hour of aerobics last week. Awkward a test as it was, I passed and now feel 100% sure that I am showing you a great product.